- OIG Uses Data Analytics
- Coding Trends of Medicare Evaluation and Management Services - 2001-2010 Part B goods and services.
- The OIG stated that E/M coding "has been vulnerable to fraud and abuse".
- Data analysis identify types of E/M services with improper payments for Part B services.
- The OIG identifies specific physicians who bill higher-level E/M codes
- If you're already a target, you should address the following:
- Look at your practice policy and procedures (P & P) manual
- If your coding is outsourced, work with vendors
- You should also perform internal documentation and coding audits
- If you have more than one coder have them do a quality assurance (QA) review of another coder's work.
- Provide the same case to all your coder's and see what the outcomes are and if there are any differences.
- Have an outside consultant perform documentation and coding audits.
To view the full article, please click the following link: Wolves at the Door: E/M Coding Now
For additional billing, coding and reimbursement resources, please click the following link: Medical Reimbursement, Inc. Resources